What Causes Fullness Beneath Your Chin and How Kybella Can Help
Chin fullness develops when a layer of fat accumulates under the lower jawline and sags down the skin to create a double chin. This results in a heavier and older look. For most people, it’s usually difficult to lose the chin fat even with careful diet and exercise. In such a case, the injectable solution may be ideal. Here are facts about double chins and how to treat them.
Causes of Submental Fullness
Submental fullness can occur in both males and females of any age. The leading causes are:
- Genetics: The genetic factor plays a vital role in fat storage and water retention. So, if most of your family members have a double chin, you will likely get it. It’s difficult to get rid of a genetically caused double chin naturally, so most patients turn to the injectable treatment.
- Diet: High intake of processed, caloric rich, and fatty food causes weight gain and the development of a double chin.
- Posture: Bad posture weakens the neck and chin muscles. Over time, the muscles lose elasticity, resulting in submental fullness.
- Age: Your skin elasticity begins to wane with age and becomes saggy in most body areas. The extra loose skin causes fullness under the chin.
How Does Kybella Eliminate a Double Chin?
This is an FDA-approved injectable treatment whose active ingredient is deoxycholic acid, a compound naturally found in the body that breaks down dietary fat. Injecting the synthetic deoxycholic acid into the chin destroys the fat cells, reducing fullness. The body then absorbs the destroyed cells and releases them with other cellular waste.
This is a permanent solution. Another advantage of this treatment method is that it tightens the skin under the chin after resolving the fullness. You are a good candidate for this treatment option if you want an alternative to the surgical methods of eliminating a double chin. Try this option if you lead a healthy lifestyle but still struggle to lose chin fat. However, the injection might not be your ideal option if:
- You have weak facial muscles
- Experience difficulty in swallowing
- Have chin infection
- You are below 18 years
The Treatment Process
Patients will require about two to six treatment sessions based on their aesthetic goals and the fullness distribution. Before treatment, you need to stop taking blood-thinning medication and cease smoking. Visit a facility like the Beaute Therapies Medical Spa for treatment. Our doctor will mark the injection site, numb the area, and inject the synthetic deoxycholic acid. The process takes about 15 to 20 minutes. You can continue with your daily activities after the injection.
Although the treatment is highly effective, don’t expect immediate results. You will start to enjoy a slimmer profile four weeks to six months after the treatment. Some people may experience mild side effects two to three days after the procedure, which include:
- Pain in the injection area
If the fullness beneath your chin bothers you, you can eliminate it by getting a deoxycholic acid injection. This is a safe and highly effective procedure if done correctly. Have a trained medical professional administer the injection to maximize the chances of treatment success.